Sunday, December 11, 2011

Parker

“Autobiography of a pencil”
By: Parker

    I was born in Alaska, on a leafy green fire tree. My brother never really played with me or even noticed me. One foggy day some loggers cut me down and sent me off to a factory.
    The factory workers turned me into a pencil, and put me in a pack of 12 pencils. “How many pencils can they fit in a pack? “ I asked. The pack of pencils I was in was put into store named Costco.
    One great day a 4th grade teacher bought me and took me into her classroom. “I’m so excited to be used.” I said. She tried to sharpen me but just as it was my turn to be sharpened, the kids came into the room. I was saved. Later a kid tried to sharpen me and it tickled. He didn’t hurt me and the kid that sharpened me was Parker Guralnick.  He used me and at reading groups someone stole me. Next, he threw me on the ground, and ripped off my eraser on me.
    Parker found me, and fit an eraser on me. “It fits” I said. Finally a kid sharpened me until I was just a stub. The teacher caught the student using me as a stub. And threw me away. And that was the end of my life as a pencil.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Parker--

    Your pencil certainly had a difficult life, getting stolen and losing its eraser, and getting sharpened down to nothing but a stub. You followed it all the way to getting thrown out. I like the idea that pencils feel like they are being tickled when they get sharpened.

    Do you like taking care of your pencils? Do you like using them?

    Crossing Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the way your pencil story followed the pencil through its whole life, Parker. It is true that pencils don't last forever, at least if they are used to write and draw a lot.

    Which do you think would have the better life, a pencil that wasn't used much and stayed around for years and years until its eraser got all hard and someone threw it away, or a pencil that was used a lot until it was all used up after a short time?

    David

    ReplyDelete