Friday, May 10, 2013

Naime

Naime
“Creole Shrimp Boil Recipe”
(From where my family is from in Louisiana)
Ingredients:
  • Chicken Boullion or chicken broth
  • 2 cup seafood seasoning
  • 2 cup spice (Cajun/Creole)
  • 2 chopped yellow potatoes
  • 2 corn (ears yellow, cut in half) (optiona) – ours was made without corn but with other veggies
  • 1 cup red onion (thin sliced, half rounds)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 lb andouille sausage ( we use turkey sausage)
  • 1 lb shells (shrimp 21 to 26 count)
    I interviewed my mom about our family from Louisiana and our cultural foods. She said that the DeGruy side of my family has a lot of recipes from France and Africa. This combination is called Creole. She said my great grandparents even spoke Creole which is a language that is mostly broken French. Broken French means incomplete French with some English and African language mixed in. Even though we sometimes stick to the original recipe, we like to add different things. It is so delicious!


3 comments:

  1. Hi again, Naime. I loved this piece of writing because you learned about your own heritage and a special food that your family shares. Interviewing family members is fun and to have a great recipe that your mom shared with you makes your writing about the interview even better. Keep asking questions of your family and its history, and continue writing what you've learned. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Naime,

    I live in Louisiana now, and this recipe sounds really familiar! We've been having crawfish boils lately, so we replace the shrimp with crawfish, but otherwise it's the same.

    I'm about to move to Chicago, but I'm definitely going to take some Louisiana recipes with me (especially seafood boil like this, red beans and rice, and jambalaya). No matter where you go, it's good to remember where you came from. And with food, you can share those memories with others!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you of informing me more about what Creole is an it's history. I enjoyed it and would like to make the recipe. Please tell Alma that shrimp is Good!!!

    ReplyDelete