Saturday, May 11, 2013

Lily - 2nd grade work sample



“The Land of Oz”
   
         I’m an expert of telling people about the Land of Oz I know how it looks because I’ve seen both movies, read both books and I was (skipped) for Halloween. I’ve told people about the land of Oz. When I explain I use vivid word so that it will be easier to visualize. To us the Land of Oz would be unusual.
        
    The Land of Oz has leaves and flowers made of crystal jewels. When you walk past the flower it will open up. To the first cart it is just black and white but later it turns very colorful. There are lots of roads in the Land of Oz there are floating bubbles.
   
         There is a force field to be safe. There are good people of Oz. They are munchkins, tinkers and farmers. The good people of Oz are under the rules of Glenda the good witch. Glenda loves all of her good people.
        
   The Land of Oz is beautiful. I like it because the Land of Oz is amazing.
“The End”



12 comments:

  1. Hello Lily,

    I have never read the Wizard of Oz books, but after reading your post, I want to visit my public library and read them.

    I love how you describe the flowers.

    Thank you.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of Oz, especially the part about the flowers opening up as you walk past. I wish my flowers would do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria from the UKMay 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM

    Lily, I am impressed by your vocabulary. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lily,
    You do a wonderful job of using vivid words in this piece to help paint a picture of the place you describe. I especially like the way you help us see the jewels and "crystal" and the bubbles as "floating." These are creative and memorable adjectives. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lily (I like your name!,
    reading the piece that you wrote makes me remember the Wizard of Oz movie (I haven't seen the new one yet)and how much I enjoyed it over the last 30 years. I wonder if you will see it when you are older and still see the land of Oz as beautiful. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Oz is a wonderful place too. I like your description. I would like to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your description of Oz. I can just picture how beautiful it must look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice usage of the words "vivid" and "visualize"! They really helped me understand the way that you talk to people about the Land of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I read your description of Oz, I am able to "see" the scenes you talk about....that makes your writing come alive for me. You are right about using vivid words...and the way you use them helps me experience the movie without even watching it again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I can see the flower made of crystal jewels in my mind. When you described the colors, I could see myself walking down the path in the Land of Oz. Your writing and ability to put your reader into the story is perfect. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lily, your writing is very descriptive. Oz is a magical place and you have let me, the reader, know that. Keep using adjectives that help us visualize your ideas. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oz is a very magical place to visit and you have captured that in your descriptive writing. Good job using vivid words. That really helps me, the reader, create pictures in my head. Keep up your writing!

    ReplyDelete