Thursday, March 28, 2013

Alma


Gazpacho
I interviewed my mom. She knew this recipe from living in Spain 1 year. She knows it because it is popular in the summer. They served it in pint glasses to drink. Southern Spain is famous for its fresh tomatoes. It is served cool on hot summer days. My mom likes Gazpacho because it is fresh and refreshing.
Ingredients:
  • 6 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, halved
  • 1 ½ to 1 cup packed fresh basil
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon of Nama Shoyu soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons spike Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 to 2 cobs corn, kernels cut off the cob
  • ½ apple, chopped
  • ¼ jicama, chopped
To make the base: In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend until desired consistency is reached. You may use the whole tomatoes, including skin and seeds.
To make “meat”: Combine the chopped vegetables and fruit in a large bowl. Pour the base mixture into the bowl and mix well. Serve well-chilled. It tastes even better the next day!
To make the more authentic “Spanish” version add crusty or dried bread that has been soaked in H2O.

3 comments:

  1. Yum. I love gazpacho. Your introduction provides a brief summary to the connection between the food and your family. Your description makes me want to travel to Spain in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds yummy! I am excited to try it, great job! :) - Kaysi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds delicious, I really like the way you describe where it came from and the connection your mom feels to the dish. The introduction made me want to try it and I don't even like tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete