Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Thank you from Ms. Luria

Dear Class and Readers of the blog,

Thank you for all of your healing wishes and cards. I just had a friend from school (a teacher) stop by my house to give me your Get Well Soon sign, mug and cards. What loving cards you made me!

As an update, I can get out of bed for about 5 minutes every hour. I am healing up nicely! It still looks like the Dr. will allow me to come back to work on April 15th as planned.

I am working on creating the recipe book for the auction. Our good friend from the Rex has finished typing up all of the recipes. I will be posting them as I am able in the next few weeks. (So you know, Rex is the person who types up all of the student work. I pay him to type up the pieces.)

Students, speaking of Rex, remember how I told you that not every child is as lucky as you? In many places in the world people have to pay to send their child to school. I wanted to let you know that we all know someone who has to pay - Rex's son.

Rex's son is in second grade, just like many of you. As a family, they have to pay $600 every year to send him to school. Decent schools in that country are not free! The $600 pays for his school uniform, his books and teachers. I just wanted you to know how lucky you are to have a free, public education in the United States.

Only about 2 out of every 3 children attend elementary school in Rex's country and complete elementary school! Here is some information from wikipedia about education in the Philippians, where Rex lives:
The DepEd expects over 13.1 million elementary students to be enrolled in public elementary schools for school year 2009–2010.[32]
Though elementary schooling is compulsory, latest official figures show 27.82% of Filipino elementary-aged children either never attend or never complete elementary schooling,[33] usually due to the absence of any school in their area, education being offered in a language that is foreign to them, or financial distress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_Philippines
When I get back, maybe we can talk about helping Rex's family. He has helped us so much. He has not asked for any help, but I think that it is something we could do as a class that would really make a difference in a child's life!


Again, thank you for the beautiful mug and thank you cards!

Ms. Luria' on the couch per the Dr.'s orders, enjoying the new coffee mug!

Your get well sign in my bedroom. I see it when I am resting in bed and looking out the window!

With all my love,
Ms. Luria

2 comments:

  1. We all hope your felling all right.



    Esme Brady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon.

    Lexi

    ReplyDelete