Thursday, March 28, 2013

Afton


Part 1: Recipe
Brown Lentil Dal”
Yield: 8 to 12 servings
Time: About 1 hour
Ingredients:
  • 1lb. dried green brown lentils, rinsed and pickled over
  • 1lb fresh Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 or 2 medium fresh jalapeños, seeded and minced
  • 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • ¼ cup grape seed or peanut oil
  • ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
  • ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped, thick stems discarded
  • Salt and black pepper
  • Juice of 1 lemon
Procedure:
  1. Put the lentils, half the tomatoes, and jalapeños, ginger, garlic, coriander, and turmeric in a large pot; add enough water to cover by ½ inches. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the lentils are almost tender about 30 minutes.
  2. Continue cooking the lentils while you put the oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and cloves and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the cayenne and 1 cup water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat and simmer for 1 minute, then turn off the heat.
  3. When the lentils are fully tender, serve over hot basmati rice.
Part 2: Essay/Interview
This recipe is brown lentil dal.
1. Where did you get this recipe?
I searched for this recipe online and my friend Lavanya (pronounced LA-VUHN-YAH) from Madras in southern India made a similar recipe for me.
2. What is your connection to this culture?
I worked at an Indian restaurant and made many close friends there.
3. Do you add any special spices to this recipe?
Yes I add spices that are native to that part of the world. Just look at the ingredient list.
Part 3: Biography
My mom cooked all kinds of different dishes since I was little and this was always a favorite. My mom made lentil soup all the time when I was little, Lentil soup may look gross but it is delicious. My mom’s relation to this culture is she worked at an Indian restaurant. I love my moms cooking.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! Great writeup! --Gabrielle (Max's mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have known Max since the beginning of the year hes nice

      Delete