Sunday, October 27, 2013

Jack L.

            ATM cards let you access the bank without going there. You used to be able to get away with not paying the amount on a check. Checks are what you use if you’re going to transfer money. If you want to keep track of money and still pay use checks. When you go to an ATM to get money you have to pay a fee.
            Credit and debit cards let you access money from ATM’s. They are an easy way of carrying money around. Also they can carry more than 1 million dollars. These little cards are the latest form of money. They are also what people normally pay with.

            Checks are surprisingly really old forms of money. Normally people use these to pay back others. And they are also great ways to pay bills. Checks probably won’t let you access the bank as well as ATM cards. If I had to choose I would rather use ATM cards.

5 comments:

  1. I like how you gave us information about ATMs and also gave your own opinion that you would rather use ATM cards than checks. That helped the reader learn important things about ATM cards as well as learn something about you. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Jack L.: I also like to use ATM cards more than checks, if I have the choice. You composed a very well written comparison of ATM cards versus checks. You were fair about describing the advantages and disadvantages to each.

    What do you think about using cash? Sometimes when I have a coin in my hand, I stop to look at the date printed on the coin. I think about the year on the coin, and ask myself if I can recall any interesting or important event that happened in the year that that coin was minted? Like, who was the President that year, or was that a good year for my favorite sports team? If I see a really old coin, I think about how old my mom and my dad were that year, and wonder what they were doing that year the coin was minted. Thoughts like: Hey, that is the year my dad was nine years old! or That was the year my parents got married!

    I also like to wonder about the unknown people that have held that same coin before me. Who were they, where did they live and what did they buy with this coin? I like the history of the money, both of the coin itself and the people who have held it in their hands. That is one perspective we lose as we switch to less personal financial transactions on ATMs and smart phones.

    If I gave you a coin and you saw the year 2004 printed on it, can you think of anything interesting or reknowned that happened in that year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jack. L. I like the convenience of using my ATM card. Many of my friends don't use checks anymore, but I do evey once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jack,

    I have to agree with you: I much prefer using my ATM card over writing a check, mostly because using my card allows the transaction to take place right away whereas when I write a check sometimes it can take a long time for the person or company to cash it. In fact, I am waiting on a check that I wrote for a bill to be cashed right now and it has already been 3 weeks! Next time I will definitely ask if I can pay with my card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right that checks have become somewhat old fashioned and that they are still useful, especially between people. I'm not sure what you meant about the one million dollars but you did a good job explaining the benefits of using an ATM.

    ReplyDelete