Monday, February 3, 2014

Finneas

Leon was born without fingers on his left hand.  He had to grow up with this disability until age 12, but then buying prosthesis cost $30,000, so his dad used a 3D printer to make his son a prosthetic hand.  Leon’s prosthesis has cords attaching his wrist to his hand.  Now he can pick up things with both hands.  Maybe one day they will make prosthesis for him to tie his shoe laces.

His hand looks homemade like it was made from store-bought materials.  It has duct tape, string and plastic, which are things I see in my house and at stores.  It’s cool that the dad was able to make prosthesis for his son with only a 3D printer and some materials.  I wonder how he got the fingers to move, and how long it took him to get Leon’s muscles used to moving the fingers on his prosthesis.


If I had a 3D printer, I would make lots of Minecraft stuff.  The first things I would make would be figurines of Creepers, Steves, and other things from Minecraft.  Next I would create gold, diamond, iron and leather armor.  Once I was done, I would make toy tools and weapons including picks, torches, TNT and more.  When you use a 3D printer you can make many things.

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing about Leon's prosthesis! The capabilities of 3D printers are really fascinating. They empower people who have great ideas--they are able to bring those ideas to fruition relatively easily and cheaper than in the past. --Gabrielle (Max's mom)

    ReplyDelete