Friday, November 7, 2014

Weston

Incident of the Arm 
by Weston Forbes



            One day my dad signed my brother and me up for skateboard camp in St. Johns.  I was learning how to drop in. Drop in is when you step on your skate board and tip it up. Then you go down into a small bowl. A skate board bowl is made out of concrete.

On my first try I just went down the hill and fell off. I fell off on my feet. I didn’t hurt myself.

On my second try I flipped up and landed on my arm. It hurt really badly. It felt like someone stuck a needle through my elbow.  The teacher came over and helped me get up.  Then he called my dad.

My dad drove over and got Warren and me in the car.  We race like maniacs to the hospital.  A doctor came and took us in to a room. Then they took an x-ray of me.  It took a really long time but eventually they put my arm in a splint. The splint was white, but my cast was camouflaged.

We went home and on the way home we were very hungry. We went out to eat. I am right handed and it was my right arm in the cast. I couldn’t really pick up any food. So I had to use my other hand to eat. That was kind of hard at the beginning, but I got used to it.


My family was going to go on a vacation to North Carolina and the beach, but I could not go on the family vacation because I might get sand in my cast. I could not get the cast wet.   I went to New York instead.


Eventually I got the drop in trick down. Now I hope that I can go back to the skateboarding camp. I just hope my dad lets me! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for explaining what "drop in" means. I also feel the first time I skateboarded. Skateboarding is fun! Now that you used your left hand more, are you finding it easier? Brushing your teeth using your left hand must be hard.

    ReplyDelete